- Early year:
- New agents:
- Trojanhorse and Soulshadow are recruited (separately) and partnered together in the Department of Bad Slash.
- Kayleigh Leonard is recruited.
- Zan Holbar and Iskillion-Galuit-Elendil are recruited from a megacrossover that required the attention of at least half the DIC (but not, apparently, the same one as in the "Tangled Web" fiasco).
- Neshomeh and Jennifer Robinson join up with the DMS and FicPsych, respectively.
- Lorac Seriph joins and surprises Verra by becoming her temporary partner.
- Jasmine Sims travels back in time to this year from 2030 and joins the Black Cats.
- Intern Nea Forrest is partnered with Agents Ekwy Fields and Milano Cricket.
- Agent Ethan Fox snaps.
- Agent Bulldog snaps on a mission.
- James Murphy is transferred to the Department of Operations and sets up his store; later in the year, a customer nicknames him "Big Murphy," and his brother "Small Murphy," which eventually become more well known than their actual first names.
- The Great Consolidation. Several departments, such as Emergencies, Rampant Sexism, and Wrecked Music, are closed down and folded into the new Department of Floaters.
- The first version of the Multiverse Monitor has its brief run.
- Myf and Mag publish the sole chapter of "PPC: The HP Series" on Fanfiction.net, featuring Agents Myfanwy and Magnolia Grey.
- The Amazing Maurice publishes the sole chapter of "Cheery and Fish: Protectors of the Plot Continuum" to Fanfiction.net, featuring Agents Cheery and Fish.
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is first released in Japan for the Game Boy Advance.
- Fred Rogers dies of stomach cancer.
- Saphie creates the original PPC Board Constitution. At least, we think so. (Source: Post by Saphie on the Unhinged Mind forum. Scroll down.)
- Morgan Sapire vanishes into a plothole to Midlearth, never to be seen or heard from again.
- Odd Lots is relaunched at
oddlots.digitalspace.net/PPC/. (Source: Odd Lots main page via Wayback Machine.)
- The PPC hub is relaunched with its own subdomain, accessible via
oddlots.digitalspace.net/PPC. (Source: Odd Lots main page via Wayback Machine.)
- Farscape concludes its four-season run on Nine Network and the Sci-Fi Channel, having been canceled in 2002, despite the protests of its fans.
- Leto Haven publishes the first chapter "The PPC General Store" on Fanfiction.net, featuring the eponymous storekeeper and friends. It continues until December 23, 2003, with a total of six chapters.
- Anne Miliardo publishes the first chapter of "New Protectors of the Plot Continuum" on Fanfiction.net, featuring Agents Anne and Kate. The ninth and final chapter is added on February 19, 2004.
- Nath posts edited chapters of "Mary Sue, Sue Mary and the Broken Plot Continuum."
- Two new PPC:TOS chapters: "A Taste of Blood" and the sad fate of Gemini Stone. (Source: Odd Lots historical mirror.)
- New PPC spinoff in Links: the Department of Misplaced Flora & Fauna, by Elvealauregaladriel Aure.
- Winterfox has updated The Mary-Sue Litmus Test for LOTR stories.
- The book Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is released.
- At the Hogwarts Fanfiction Academy, the temporary destabilization of canon caused by the new release allows a horde of Mary Sues, evil avatars, and slash-wraiths to invade. The staff and students rally to the defense of the canon characters, aided by reinforcements from the PPC, in what becomes known as the Battle of the Canon.
- Agents Achren and Obsidian join the PPC (based on the creation date of their authors' joint Fanfiction.net profile).
- Alina and Suzine publish the prologue of "Protectors of the Plot Continuum: Matrix Division," featuring Agents Achren and Obsidian, on Fanfiction.net.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is released in theaters. The combined hawtness of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom inspire a piratical new fanfic explosion.
- NenyaQuende and Rosie publish the first three chapters of "The JAAKSONS" on Fanfiction.net; Nenya Gabriel and Rosie Cotton Bomull join the Department of Multiple Offenses.
- Meir Brin, Saphie, and Leelee publish "PPC: Troll Division" on Fanfiction.net; Saphie Ellings and Leelee are recruited to the Troll Division.
- A new series, the Buffyverse PPC, filling a critical gap in the realm of media fandom. Enjoy!
- DDR Freak publishes "The Lands of Midlearth" on Fanfiction.net.
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is first released in Japan for the Nintendo GameCube.
- Lots o' stuff:
- First, new/ish PPC:TOS chapter, "To Know Where You're Going," an older story finally finished off with a little help from friends.
- Second, a request for assistance—any Farscape fans out there among the Assassins ready to take on an Uncharted Suvian? We have a letter from a supporter here with notification of badfic incursions there:
To the Protectors of the Plot Continuum:
I have long followed your fight against bad fanfiction writing as a silent yet resiliant supporter. However, I must ask that you branch your organization out into the Farscape genre in order to eliminate a particularly dangerous Mary Sue. From what I have managed to gather in the thirty-nine chapter tale is an extreme disruption to both cannon and characterization, along with an extraordinarily sexist attitude toward women in particular romance novel fashion.
If you have any agents who are willing to take on a Farscape fiction and right the wrongs set forth, I would be greatly appeased.
You will find the following Mary Sue at this address: http://scorpius-farscape.tv/master/cool_water/likecoolwater.html
- Finally, the Buffyverse Chargelist has been assembled with lots of suffering and hard work (in that order) by Agent Rhysdux. (Yes, they're all real. I asked—had to ask.)
- The 26th and final TOS chapter, "No Way Back," is published on Miss Cam's site before this date. (Source: Miss Cam's site as of Wayback Machine capture on this date.)
- New Buffyverse PPC: "The Life That Angel And Buffy Never Had"—it's a toss-up which is worse, the plot of this Marty Stu, or the mangling of the English language.
- Team Phoenix is founded.
- Agents A. Gallowglass and Lena Montrose transfer to the Pirates of the Caribbean division of the DMS.
- Seth Emerian recruited to the Department of Mary Sues.
- New Spinoff in Spinoffs, by Hellga, PPC:SIELU - The Elven Affairs Unit - "Slightly neurotic Agent Lambda protects Elves from evil Sues."
- New Buffyverse PPC: two chapters, "The Ultimate Slayer" and "The Being of Light," a shocking two-parter.
- Fawkes publishes "From the Desks of Allie and Chelsea: A PPC Spinoff" on Fanfiction.net; Chelsea Miller and Allie join the PPC.
- The musical Wicked has its official Broadway premiere.
- 31 (approx.)
- In the real world, the Thalia Weaver incident happens.
- Thalia Weaver leaves the PPC Board.
- The 2003 Mary Sue Invasion takes place. Makes-Things is critically injured,[source, please!] and Luke Celinus loses his eye.
- Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken for the Game Boy Advance becomes the first game in the franchise to be released in North America, largely due to the popularity of Fire Emblem characters Marth and Roy in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Fanfic ensues.
- Artemis and Bodldops publish the mission "Arathorn Did Not Have a Daughter," featuring Agents Talia Nightsong and Halley, on Fanfiction.net.
- Alina and Suzine publish the second and final actual chapter of "Protectors of the Plot Continuum: Matrix Division," featuring Agents Achren and Obsidian, to Fanfiction.net.
- Aiwendil Greenleaf and Sally Fakry publish both chapters of "PPC: The Files of Sally and Cille" to Fanfiction.net, featuring Agents Cille and Sally.
- The first known PPC holiday filks are written.
- Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries airs on the Sci-Fi Channel as the first stage of a remake of the old 1978 TV series.
- Peter Jackson's The Return of the King movie is released in the UK and US. This is widely heralded as the end of an era. As if.
- Oracle publishes "The Adventures of Agent Ginger" on FictionPress.com.