Squick is basically another term for "Eeeewwwww, gross!" To be squicked is to be grossed out.
An important point about squick, however, is that something that squicks you may not squick someone else. It is well to be cautious when using squick as a charge, especially when looking at fics from places such as kinkmemes. As they say on Fanficrants, Your Mileage May Vary.
It is in the nature of the Ironic Overpower, also, that the day you bounce around denouncing something that is squicky to you and saying that it is therefore badfic, someone who is not squicked by it/likes that plot-point/kink/trope will be around and will call you on it.
How Do You Know It's Squick?
If something makes your stomach heave, or makes you want to puke, or makes you want to stab your eyeballs out with a spork so you can never see it again, it's probably squick.
Squick commonly is some sort of lemon, but not always.
Things That People Often Find Squicky
- Male pregnancy
- Bad slash
- Excessive gore, especially sexual violence
- Excessive use of various bodily fluids, sexual or not
- Unfortunate placement of a funny word; for example, "squelch" is not a sexy word.
Examples of Widely-Regarded-As-Squicky Fics
- Chaser Wolf's works
- "Chibiusa's Seventh Birthday"
- "Cho Chang's Desires"
- "Cloud Mows the Lawn"
- "The Dark Elf"
- "Draco's Christmas Cuppa"
- "For Your Eyes Only"
- "Land Before Time: Littlefoot x Cera"
- "legolas by laura"
- "Little Miss Mary"
- "My Inner Life"
- "Naga Eyes"
- "That Series"
- "A Romantically Relevant Situation"
- "Sela's New Job"
- "To the Moon"
- "Violation of the Evenstar"