A nymph is one of several kinds of nature spirit or minor deity associated with a particular location or landform. Nymphs originally hail from Greek mythology, but some kinds also appear in fantasy continua, including The Chronicles of Narnia, Dungeons & Dragons, Discworld, World of Warcraft, and others.
Eternally young and beautiful, they are a frequent target for Sueification, in which their more unpleasant characteristics—such as jealousy and instant death should their home be destroyed—are left by the wayside.
Types of Nymph
- Dryads are wood nymphs. They are often described as being bound to a specific tree, and when that tree is hurt, they are also hurt. Sometimes, they are the spirit or soul of that tree, taking a humanoid form to deal with mortals.
- Naiads are river nymphs, bound to a particular river or stream. If it dries up, they die.
Nymphs in the PPC
- Five of Six was a dryad, specifically a beech nymph, before she was assimilated.
- Rosalie is a naiad.
- Tarian Toran is half dryad.
Notable Nymph Sues
- Alumia the Woodsprite merged with the entire planet of Arda when the DOGA agents assigned to her fic tried to assassinate her. It took about half the PPC to exorcize her and allow Agents Dafydd and Selene to finish the job. Her fingers were taken for study by Dr. Niamh Tran of the DMSE&R.
- Ambellina was an immortal "water Sprite" princess who gave herself up as a tribute to Sauron to protect her people (who were then slaughtered anyway). After two years in captivity, she gleefully fawned over him and did his evil bidding in the fight against the Last Alliance.
- Palan was a blue-haired, lavender-eyed nymph Stu who distinguished himself by being Legolas' slave in defiance of all Elvish custom, and by having large, silver wings—not a standard trait of nymphs. He was stabbed in the back by Agent Joe while Agent Meneltari distracted him. Joe took the wings as souvenirs.