The Nursery is run by the Department of Operations. It is there to help raise the younger children of agents and children rescued from badfics, whether they were caused by MPreg, a pregnant Sue or a Sue with children, or bit characters dragged along with the Sue.
For a list of children in HQ, see... well, the List of Children in HQ.
Children of all ages, from gestation to adolescence, are cared for and educated by the Nursery. Rescued fetuses without serious genetic or developmental complications are housed in the Incubation Room. (Fetuses with unstable genetics or implausibly rapid gestation may need an Illogical Incubator in the Medical Department.) The Nursery's Incubation Room is painted in pastels and contains adapted uterine replicators from the Matrix-verse in rows of ten. It has enough pods for "many more" than 30 fetuses at a time. Each pod has an electronic display showing the name of the fetus, the name(s) of the parent(s)/foster parent(s), and the department(s) of the parent(s).
There is, of course, an actual nursery with cribs for the youngest post-gestational children, known as the Daycare.
Older children live in a dormitory known as the Bunks. It has an enormous common area with one half dedicated to wildly shaped playground equipment and the other half filled with a an array of chairs, tables, couches, bookshelves, and screens. Each corner of the common area has a hallways leading off each side. One pair leads to the Daycare and the front reception area; most of the others lead to bedroom suites. The walls of the common area and the corridors are used to display the children's art and poetry and the occasional poster.
The Nursery also provides HQ's children with schooling. This includes or leads into the classes known colloquially as "agent training" (not to be confused with the training new recruits receive), which is run by Professor Beans. Jenn, one of the first children born in Headquarters, took part in these lessons (along with Blythe, Terry, Bal, and Kaitlyn Jackson). Lha completed the program at age 16. The final courses include "Surviving HQ: Difficult Agents and How to Deal With Them" and "Bleach: Its Uses and Abuses."
It can be presumed that the Nursery helps to produce many second-generation agents.
- Christine is "the woman in charge."
- Benjamin Roberts is a known worker.
- Elanor Laison works in the Nursery as of 2018.
- Helena Rice is known to be part of the Nursery staff, working with the children on the verge of being old enough to become active agents.
- Miss MacKinnon is part of the daycare staff.
- Professor Beans works with the older children. He runs the program for teaching them the skills prerequisite to becoming agents.
- Publica Kurusu is a known worker and the adoptive mother of Leyuu.
- Teyala Solnerii is one of the workers assigned to supervise toddlers and newborns. She also assists with bureaucratic matters and coordinates with agents who wish to become adoptive parents.
- Who handles physical education for the students old enough for schooling.
- Wobbles helps at the Nursery and runs a children's TV show for the residents, doing missions for the Department of Floaters in order to keep her programme funded.
- Records from this division are listed under The Complete List of PPC Fiction, Department of Operations, Nursery.
- "The Veronica File - Prologue" by Those Vaguely Akin To Humanity, January 19, 2006
- "What Major Lorne Wants" by Pretzel, May 26, 2011
- "'Twas Many and Many a Year Ago, in a Nondescript Random Town by the Sea" by Tungsten Monk, c. February 2006
- "Birth" by Tawaki, December 2, 2009
- "Because We Like You" by doctorlit, July 16, 2018
- "PPC: The Next Generation" by Oracle, December 11, 2003
- "What the Heck?" by Oracle, April 20, 2004