- "Aieee~! Gomen, gomen!"
- 「あなた は 日本語 が 全然 話せません。 英語 で 話して ください。」 (Translation: You don't speak Japanese at all. Please speak English.)
Fangirl Japanese is a doubly annoying curse. To those who do not know the language at all, or are not familiar with the anime fandoms where it is most commonly used, it is frustrating because said fangirl is nigh impossible to understand without a small glossary or English-Japanese dictionary.
To those that already know the language or are in the process of learning it, it is agony, because they are becoming very aware of how stupid it sounds to mix two languages so poorly.
How to Spot It
- If Japan doesn't exist in the continuum the fic is set in, then it's definitely Fangirl Japanese, and Bad Geography to boot.
- If a character actually is Japanese, or part-Japanese, then it makes sense for them to have a Japanese name or speak it. On the other hand, an OC who is named "Keiko" despite living in Victorian Britain or who is fully white but speaks Japanese for no reason other than "the author wanted her to seem smart/cool" is probably a Mary Sue.
- Is the writing accurate? Does it provide a translation? If not, then charge.
- Are random Japanese words or symbols inserted into the narration? If so, it likely is Fangirl Japanese, especially if the fic doesn't focus on Japan or anyone from there.