- 1 Agent Profile
- 2 Agent History
- 3 Notable Missions
- 4 Missions Reports
- 5 Alternate Versions
- 6 References
Dafydd has not been Dafydd for very long. At birth he was named in Quenya Kanafinwë Makalaurë, but for most of his life he was known by his Sindarin name: Maglor, son of Fëanor. Any rumours that he once went by Maelor are strictly untrue.
After a very long time hanging about on the beaches of what would ultimately become Wales, Maglor (at least according to the badfic which created the agent version) took on the name Dafydd Illian. This is a Welsh name – it's pronounced "Davith", not "Dafid" (and certainly not "Daffy"). This was the name by which he was known throughout his tenure in the PPC. After his marriage to Constance Sims, they both took some time to decide how to deal with their surnames, but seem to have both settled on Illian-Sims.
Dafydd is a standard Noldorin elf. He is tall, lean, and has long, dark brown (bordering on black) hair and deep grey eyes. Somewhat curiously for fanfiction depictions of his people, his ears are not significantly pointed – they closer approximate the 'leaf shape' Tolkien described. This is possibly because his purpose in the story was not to be identified as an elf until he revealed himself. He made use of this fact to hide his identity from his partner for a long time.
Following his final mission, Dafydd's right arm ends in a stump – his hand was burnt off. Sometimes he forgets this fact.
Dafydd can best be described as 'fey'. Derived from the mildest and most stable son of Fëanor, he is nevertheless erratic and prone to overreaction. He has been known to advocate firebombing entire Word Worlds to deal with Mary Sues, was expelled from the Department of Mary Sues for overusing fire, and is particularly susceptible to Sue-tainted artefacts. His favourite weapons prior to his departure from the PPC were the longbow – which he can no longer use – and a Sue artefact known as the Ring of Sairalindë.
Some part of his characterisation as Evil Maglor was derived from the evil harp he had in his story of origin: he was separated from the main Maglor of that story by the harp being smashed. The resultant 'evil' aspect of his personality hung around until he was gifted a new harp by Takua some years later.
Before the PPC
Dafydd considers his personal history to be identical with that of Maglor, son of Fëanor, from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion. He remembers the death of the Two Trees of Valinor, participating in the three Kinslayings, casting the last Silmaril into the Great Sea, and spending several Ages of Middle-earth wandering the western shores. He places his age at somewhere above 15,000 years; this may be a conscious revision of his memory, as his story of origin claims Fëanor died more than half a million years ago.
Over time, the coast Maglor wandered became part of Wales; Maglor considered himself as the founder of the country, and took the name Dafydd Illian. It is possible he has some connection with historical Welsh figures such as Saint David (a variant of Dafydd) and Saint Illtyd (founder of the first school in Britain). At some point in this period, he acquired an evil harp, which made him bitter and hateful.
Around AD 1970, he encountered a girl named Suzeanna Mariana, a descendent of Beren, Luthien, and Earendil. During his attempts to kill her, she recognised his harp for what it was and smashed it. "The evil elf vanished, and in his place stood Maglor son of Feanor, greatest minstrel in the world."
Due to the clumsiness of the phrasing, Dafydd (as opposed to Maglor) found himself dropped into a plothole. He stayed there until the PPC arrived, being present in the story to deal with the Suvian Suzeanna. Rather than killing him, Mortic Wentway and Alex Orange saw Dafydd's homicidal tendencies as useful, and recruited him to the PPC.
Following his recruitment, Dafydd was placed in the Department of Mary Sues, and partnered with Agent Jared Calinson. For reasons unknown, he concealed his true identity and elvish heritage, pretending to be a mortal human. He was peripherally involved in the events of the Reorganisation: he witnessed the attempted assassination of the Sunflower Official by the mind-controlled Dassie Hyrax, and helped escort a captured DIS Guard for interrogation. During this latter operation, he first met Nurse Constance Sims, though neither of them seem to remember the incident.
Dafydd's tenure with the DMS was fairly uneventful. He adopted Thanduril the mini-Balrog from OFUM, and participated in some outreach programs, teaching the bow to prospective PPC agents. All seemed to be going well - up until 2004 HST, when he gave in to long-held feelings about how best to deal with badfic, and burned down half of Rivendell. The SO promptly dismissed him from the Department of Mary Sues.
A chance encounter with the Sunflower Official's secretary of the time, the Bonsai Mallorn, led Dafydd to establish the Department of Geographical Aberrations, in which he would be actively encouraged to do the very thing he had just been punished for. He was soon partnered with Selene Windflower, and undertook a number of missions involving setting large areas of the landscape on fire. Early in their partnership, Selene developed something of a crush on Dafydd, but he never returned her feelings.
Dafydd's career in DOGA was much more eventful than his time in the DMS. From March to May 2004, he was semi-officially repartnered with Vemi Fincaran. During this time, he was taken captive by a Suvian invading HQ, and released by Vemi and Penny Smith.
After Vemi's (temporary) retirement, Dafydd resumed working with Selene, but was also given a new temporary/occasional partner: Constance Sims. On his initial mission with her, he revealed his true species and identity for the first time. He continued to take missions with his two partners - and, after her return, Vemi as well - for the next year and a half.
Outside of the PPC, Dafydd lent his aid to a handful of other multiversal organisations. He helped Ispace defeat a fangirl invasion of Middle-earth, and guided Lizzie Cottis in her infiltration of the Suvian academy TAMS. (The fact that he and Selene later nearly killed Lizzie is beside the point.)
Dafydd undertook increasingly dangerous missions as time passed. He began to acquire and use Suvian artefacts, such as the Ring of Sairalindë. He took on a mission which required pulling in most of the rest of the PPC to help exorcise the Suvian from Middle-earth itself. Eventually, he and Selene were sent into the Legendary Badfic Legolas by laura.
Dafydd's personal relationships also developed. His friendship with Constance Sims developed into something more, with them sharing their first kiss in the aftermath of the mass exorcism. Following the healing of his personality accomplished by Agent Takua's gift of a new harp, he and Constance entered into a deep romantic relationship.
Ultimately, Dafydd's career came to a head when Constance was assigned the Legendary Badfic Celebrian. Dafydd insisted on accompanying her. At the end of the mission, he used the Ring of Sairalindë to do the Duty, but couldn't control it and was killed.
Constance managed to return Dafydd to life, and at the same time to persuade the Valar that they didn't want to see either of them down in Mandos ever again. The couple convinced the Board of Department Heads to let them retire from the PPC. Following their engagement and wedding, they found a new home in Malij, an island nation in an unpublished world, which they did their best not to insert too many anachronisms into.
For the next few years, the couple stayed (mostly) away from the PPC. Between 2007 and 2013 HST they had five children: Tanfin Illian, Jasmine Sims, Belladonna Illian-Sims, Daphne Illian-Sims, and Oleander Illian-Sims. They also acquired a pair of fire-lizards, with Dafydd's being bronze Ilwion. They took some time to settle on how their married names would work, but ultimately chose to hyphenate them, leading Dafydd to call himself Dafydd Illian-Sims.
Sheaf of Worlds
In 2013, Dafydd and Constance received a visit from Narto Telyan and Lou, which seems to have catalysed their return to PPC society. Within a year, they had involved themselves in the multiversal Ispace Wars, joining with Narto, Lou, and Fëamintë Fioncarnë to form the Sheaf of Worlds, resisting encroachment by both Ispace and the PPC into the lives of multiverse dwellers.
Once the war was ended, the couple were happy to return to the HQ and New Caledonia social scene. They signed their children up for the Sprout Movement, and Dafydd began to contribute to the NTV entertainment program. They both signed up for various seasons of the PPC Hunger Games, and by the fifth season Dafydd was acting as presenter. They began to be seen more and more around the PPC, socialising and even dancing.
In late 2021, possibly prompted by a number of close calls regarding introducing anachronisms to Malij, the Illian-Sims family relocated to New Caledonia, moving into a large house on the Rue Rina Dives and naming it Plas Illian-Sims. They presumably enrolled their children in one of the city's schools; Dafydd and Constance were seen at the (Southern) Summer Solstice bonfire, and the family settled into their new home in time to make Christmas gingerbread sculptures.
For the author's recommended reading order, see #Mission Log.
- Years of the Trees
- Born Kanafinwë Makalaurë, son of Fëanor & Nerdanel, in Tirion, Valinor.
- Joins his father in exile in Formenos.
- Witnesses from afar the death of the Two Trees.
- Flees Formenos before the advance of Melkor.
- Swears the Oath of Fëanor in Tirion.
- Takes part in the Kinslaying at Alqualondë.
- First Age
- Follows his father to Beleriand.
- Stands aside at the burning of the ships at Losgar.
- Witnesses his father's death.
- Is briefly High King of the Noldor during Maedhros' captivity.
- Takes up residence in Maglor's Gap, and becomes primary horse-breeder for the Noldor.
- Composed the lament Noldolantë, the Fall of the Noldor.
- Is driven back to Himring during the Dagor Bragollach.
- Slays Uldor the Accursed at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, but is wounded and forced to retreat into the woods of Ossiriand.
- Participates in the Kinslayings at Doriath and the Havens.
- Adopts Elrond and Elros.
- Stays well out of the War of Wrath and the final defeat of Morgoth.
- With his elder brother, steals the two remaining Silmarils, but is burnt by his and cast it into the Great Sea.
- Second through Seventh Ages
- Wanders the shores of Middle-earth in despair and grief, ultimately in the parts that became Wales.
- At some point acquires an evil harp.
- Takes the name Dafydd Illian.
- Encounters Suzeanna Mariana, the last descendent of Beren, Luthien, Earendil, and Elwing.
- May 1999
- 'Dafydd's Backstory' - Attempts to kill Suzeanna, but is dropped into a plothole by shoddy writing, and then recruited to the PPC by Mortic Wentway and Alex Orange.
- 'The Reorganisation', Chapter 4: Betrayal - Partnered with Jared Calinson in the Department of Mary Sues.
- June 1999
- 'The Reorganisation', Chapter 11: Revelation - Witnesses the attempted assassination of the Sunflower Official.
- 'The Reorganisation', Chapter 14: Opposition - Escorts a captured DIS assassin to the Sunflower Official's office, and meets Constance Sims for the first time.
- 'The Reorganisation', Chapter 19: Reorganisation - Hears the Sunflower Official's announcement of the formation of the Board of Department Heads.
- 'Jihad' - Advocates setting fire to everything. Is told no.
- Adopts Thanduril the mini-Balrog.
- 'Diary of an Undercover Sue', Chapter 4 (mention) - First met Lizzie Cottis, a potential PPC recruit who wound up joining Ispace instead.
- September 2003
- The Rivendell Incident - burns down half of Rivendell.
- January 2004
- 'Tales from DOGA: Beginnings' - Suspended from the Department of Mary Sues over the Rivendell Incident, and persuaded by the Bonsai Mallorn to found the Department of Geographical Aberrations.
- 'Tales from DOGA: More Than Ordinary' - Partnered with Selene Windflower, and takes on a Lord of the Rings mission to destroy an uncanonical village.
- 'Agentshipping: Rejection', Scene 1 - Doesn't notice Selene's flirting.
- 'Tales from DOGA: Eledhwen' - Returns to Middle-earth to set an entire uncanonical country aflame.
- February 2004
- 'Tales from DOGA: Interlude 1' - Catches a bite to eat with Selene.
- 'Techno-Dann's Backstory' - Has his console repaired by Agent Dann of DoSAT.
- 'Tales from DOGA: Daughter of Desire' - Takes on a Lord of the Rings mission and acquires the magical Suvian Ring of Sairalindë.
- 'Agentshipping: Rejection', Scene 2 - Discusses BDSM with Selene.
- 'The Boromir Saga', Chapter 14 - Helps prevent a fangirl invasion of Middle-earth.
- March 2004
- 'Agentshipping: Rejection', Scene 3 - Inadvertently angers Selene.
- 'Tales from DOGA: The Child of Susan Sto-Helit' - Temporarily partnered with Vemi Fincaran of the DMS, Dafydd visits the Discworld.
- 'Tales from DOGA: Al and Death - The Continuing Adventures' - Dafydd and Vemi return to the Discworld.
- April 2004
- 'Agent Dafydd + The Gurl' - During an infestation of Suvians in HQ, Dafydd is targetted and has to be rescued by Vemi.
- 'Pain and Regrets, Power and Battle' - Dafydd and Vemi take on a mission in the Potterverse. Dafydd doesn't Get It.
- 'Diary of an Undercover Sue', Chapter 3 - Delivers a mini-Balrog to Lizzie Cottis, to help her infiltration of the Suvian school TAMS.
- May 2004
- 'Diary of an Undercover Sue', Chapter 8 - Pays another visit to Lizzie at TAMS.
- 'Tales from DOGA: Al and Death - The Complete Adventures' - After Vemi's retirement, Dafydd returns alone to finish off the resurgent Al.
- June 2004
- 'Tales from DOGA: Two Worlds United' - Dafydd takes a mission to Labyrinth with Constance Sims, and reveals his true identity to her.
- 'Tales from DOGA: Echoes of the Narbeleth' - Dafydd and Selene take a mission into Lord of the Rings. Dafydd is not convinced by his partner's claim to be a vampire.
- July 2004
- 'Tales from DOGA: The Blood of Those Betrayed' - Dafydd and Constance tackle a Lord of the Rings mission.
- August 2004
- 'Diary of an Undercover Sue', Chapters 17-22 - Dafydd and Selene tackle a Lord of the Rings Suvian who is not all she seems. Because she is actually Lizzie.
- September 2004
- 'Diary of an Undercover Sue', Chapter 24 - Returns to TAMS to help Lizzie plan how to take the Suvian academy down.
- December 2004
- 'Tales from DOGA: Not So Simple' - Vemi returns to the PPC, learns Dafydd's true identity, and drags him on a Discworld mission.
- January 2005
- 'Tales from DOGA: Woodsprite of the North' - Takes on a Lord of the Rings mission with Selene, and winds up dragging in practically everybody. Also welcomes Agent Takua to DOGA.
- 'Agentshipping: Rejection', Scene 4 - Rejects Selene's advances.
- 'Tales from DOGA: Interlude 2' - Gets invited to a party, and winds up getting together with Constance.
- March 2005
- 'Tales from DOGA: Brown DragonRider of Pern' - Joins Neshomeh and Alec Troven on the PPC's first mission in the Dragonriders of Pern.
- May 2005
- July 2005
- 'Nightstalkers: The Children' - Receives the gift of a harp from Agent Takua, and is quite pathetically grateful.
- March 2006
- 'Tales from DOGA: Tabloid' - Appears in the first issue of the Multiverse Monitor. Constance is not best pleased.
- May 2006
- 'Tales from DOGA: Celebrian' - Takes on the most legendary badfic of all, Celebrian, with Constance. Almost dies. Strike that - actually dies.
- 'Tales from DOGA: After Midnight' - Returns from death.
- 'Envinyata: Cultural Exchange' - Proposes to Constance Sims.
- 'Agentshipping: Rejection', Scene 6 - Tells Selene about his upcoming retirement.
- 'Envinyata: Narrative Voice' - Retires from the Protectors of the Plot Continuum.
- 'Ever After' - Officially engaged to Constance.
- July 2006
- 'Winding Down' - Pays one last visit to HQ to throw an engagement party.
- 'Puritans & Radicals' - Is the subject of an essay by Terri Ryan.
- Family Life
- August 2006
- 'Envinyata: Aesthetic Viewpoint' - Takes a day trip with Constance.
- 28 October 2006
- Wedding of Dafydd Illian and Constance Sims.
- December 2006
- May 2007
- 'Envinyata: Wedded Bliss' - The first anniversary of his proposal to Constance.
- January 2009
- 'The Great 2009 Genderbend' - Dafydd and Constance (and Tanfin) get temporarily genderbent due to Shenanigans.
- Birth of Jasmine Sims.
- July 2010
- Birth of Belladonna Illian-Sims.
- October 2012
- December 2013
- Birth of Oleander Illian-Sims.
- 'Visitors' - Receives a visit from Lou and Narto Telyan.
- 'A Rising Gale' - Crosses multiverses to help Selene Windflower.
- Sheaf of Worlds
- April 2014
- 'The Ispace Wars', Chapter 7 - Forms the Sheaf of Worlds during the Ispace Wars.
- 'Buds and Sprouts' - Helps out with the Buds' bronze DOGA badge.
- August 2015
- 'RP: Fire-Lizard Hatching' - Trades a clutch of fire-lizard eggs to Ilraen and Supernumerary, and visits HQ to watch the hatching.
- November 2015
- December 2015
- 'Ardolindi: May It Be' - Releases the second episode of "Ardolindi".
- January 2016
- 'PPC Hunger Games: Season 2' - Appears in hologram form in the Second PPC Hunger Games.
- 'Ardolindi: Pella Hisie' - Reveals a little of his hypothetical past in the third episode of "Ardolindi".
- 'PPC Hunger Games: Season 3' - Ranks 7th in the Third PPC Hunger Games.
- February 2016
- 'Ardolindi: The Pugilist' - Is not best pleased by the fourth episode of "Ardolindi".
- March 2016
- 'Ardolindi: The Battle of Evermore' - Presents the fifth episode of "Ardolindi".
- April 2016
- 'Ardolindi: Orcs Will Eat You' - Is thoroughly trolled for the sixth episode of "Ardolindi".
- September 2016
- 'PPC Hunger Games: Season 4' - Goes out in the first minutes of the Fourth PPC Hunger Games.
- December 2016
- 'Ardolindi: Jay and Acacia' - Presents the Ardolindi Christmas & Saturnalia Special.
- April 2017
- 'PPC Hunger Games: Season 5' - Presents the Fifth PPC Hunger Games, with some help from the family.
- May 2017
- September 2018
- 'Talk Like 15 Pirates' - Talks like a pirate, me hearties.
- January 2019
- August 2019
- New Caledonia
- November 2021
- December 2021
- The family move into their new house in New Cal, Plas Illian-Sims.
- 'New Calmas: Day 9' - Attends the (Southern) Summer Solstice dance in New Caledonia.
- 'New Calmas: Day 12' - Spends Christmas Day making gingerbread sculptures with the family.
- March 2022
For a chronological list of all appearances, see #Timeline.
Partnered with Selene Windflower
- "More Than Ordinary" (Lord of the Rings)
- "Eledhwen" (Lord of the Rings)
- "Interlude 1," with Radix (DIA) and Bjam
- "Daughter of Desire" (Lord of the Rings)
Semi-officially partnered with Vemi Fincaran (DMS)
- "The Child of Susan Sto Helit" (Discworld)
- "Al and Death - The Continuing Adventures" (Discworld)
- "Agent Dafydd + The Gurl", with Vemi and Penny.
- "Pain and Regrets, Power and Battle" (Harry Potter)
- "Al and Death - The Complete Adventures" (Discworld)
Partnered with Constance Sims, Selene, and Vemi
- "Two Worlds United" (Labyrinth), Dafydd with Agent Constance Sims (DMS)
- "Echoes of the Narbeleth" (Lord of the Rings)
- "The Blood of Those Betrayed" (Lord of the Rings), Dafydd with Agent Constance (DMS)
- "Not So Simple" (Discworld), Dafydd with Agent Vemi (DMS)
- "Woodsprite of the North" (Lord of the Rings), featuring Takua (DOGA) and everyone else
- "Interlude 2," with Constance and Steve Dimond
- "Brown DragonRider of Pern" (Pern), Dafydd with Agent Alec Troven (DI) and Intern Neshomeh, with an appearance by Constance
- "legolas, by Laura" (Lord of the Rings)
- "Tabloid," in which Constance and Dafydd are hounded by the Multiverse Monitor
- "Celebrian - The Mission" (Lord of the Rings), Dafydd with Agent Constance (DMS)
- "After Midnight," with Constance
- "Envinyata: Cultural Exchange"
- "Envinyata: Narrative Voice"
- "Ever After"
- "Winding Down"
- "Envinyata: Aesthetic Viewpoint"
- "Envinyata: Religious Dissent"
- "Envinyata: Wedded Bliss"
- "Ardolindi: Nightfall"
- "Ardolindi: May It Be"
- "Ardolindi: Pella Hisie"
- "Ardolindi: The Pugilist"
- "Ardolindi: The Battle of Evermore"
- "Ardolindi: Orcs Will Eat You"
- "Ardolindi: Jay and Acacia"
- "PPC Hunger Games: Season 5"
- "The End of the Beginning"
- In the alternate future of The Sundering, Dafydd and Constance leave their family and go off to explore the multiverse.
- "Shades of Black and Red"
- "Myths of the PPC"
- In the far-future Myths of the PPC, Dafydd and Constance are portrayed as sibling deities, and the parents of the first five humans.
- "The Transfictional Canonical Defence Authority"
- In the alternate PPC of the TCDA, Constable Davillo (a Shakespearean fairy) is partnered with Countess Serenity, and in a relationship with Nurse Constance of Greater Wessex.
- "FPF: Far, Far Away"
- In the alternate PPC of the Fandom Protection Fleet, Dafid Il-yaen is a Jedi Knight who is in love with Arikae Sems.
- "The Army for Protecting the Stage Worlds"
- In the alternate PPC of the APSW, the fairy Dragonfly may be an alternate version of Dafydd.
- Dafydd and Constance play major roles in the hypothetical PPC Cinematic Universe U (the final 'U' is silent).
- Dafydd also makes (currently defined as) AU appearances in Generic Surface.
- "Oldest" by Huinesoron, 23 January 2019
- Tolkien Gateway: Maglor, retrieved 3 March 2022
- "Ardolindi: Pella Hisie" by Huinesoron, 27 January 2016
- "Dafydd's Backstory" by Huinesoron, 2 December 2004
- "Tales from DOGA: After Midnight" by Huinesoron, 1 October 2008
- 'Jihad' by Huinesoron, July 2006
- "Tales from DOGA: Beginnings" by Huinesoron, 23 Oct 2003 / Jan 2019
- "Tales from DOGA: Daughter of Desire" by Huinesoron, 25 February 2004
- 'Nightstalkers: The Children' by Rath, 30 April 2006
- "The Reorganisation," Chapter 4 by Huinesoron & Vemi, May 2005
- "The Reorganisation," Chapter 11 by Huinesoron, 26 June 2006
- "The Reorganisation," Chapter 14 by Huinesoron, 21 December 2006
- "Diary of an Undercover Sue", Chapter 4 by Hirilnara, 7 December 2003
- "Tales from DOGA: More Than Ordinary" by Huinesoron, 26 October 2003
- "Tales from DOGA: Eledhwen" by Huinesoron, 29 October 2003
- "Agentshipping: Rejection" by Huinesoron, 15 April 2014
- "Tales from DOGA: The Child of Susan Sto-Helit" by Huinesoron and Vemi, 19 May 2004
- "Agent Dafydd + The Gurl" by Huinesoron and Vemi, 16 April 2004
- "Tales from DOGA: Not So Simple" by Huinesoron and Vemi, Oct-Dec 2004
- "Tales from DOGA: Al and Death - The Complete Adventures" by Huinesoron, May-Jun 2004
- "Tales from DOGA: Two Worlds United" by Huinesoron and Kaitlyn, Jun-Aug 2004
- "The Boromir Saga," Chapter 14 by Huinesoron, 18 December 2003
- "Diary of an Undercover Sue", Chapter 3 by Hirilnara, 2 December 2003
- "Diary of an Undercover Sue", Chapter 21 by Hirilnara and Huinesoron, 10 April 2005
- "Tales from DOGA: Brown DragonRider of Pern" by Huinesoron, Neshomeh, and kippur, 15 February 2008
- "Tales from DOGA: Woodsprite of the North" by Huinesoron, 1 January 2005
- "Tales from DOGA: legolas" by Huinesoron, 1 October 2005
- "Tales from DOGA: Interlude 2" by Huinesoron and Kaitlyn, 1 April 2005
- "Tales from DOGA: Celebrian" by Huinesoron and Kaitlyn, 20 June 2008
- "Envinyata: Narrative Voice" by Huinesoron, 23 December 2016
- "Winding Down" by Huinesoron, 6 July 2013
- "Talk Like 15 Pirates" by Huinesoron, 19 September 2018
- "The Great 2009 Genderbend" by The Board, 30 January 2009
- 'Visitors' by Huinesoron, 28 March 2010
- "Unexpected" by Huinesoron, 1 July 2013
- "The Ispace Wars," Chapter 7 by Huinesoron, 25 August 2014
- "Buds and Sprouts" by Huinesoron, 25 April 2014
- "PPC Hunger Games: Season 5" by Huinesoron and The Board, 3 April 2017
- "The Road to New Caledonia" by Huinesoron, 13 March 2022
- "New Calmas: Day 9" by Lily Winterwood, 21 December 2021