The Big Thorn heads the Disturbing Acts of Violence Department as a whole and also specifically looks after DAVD's Action Division. He is one of the Firstborn; his rarely-used proper name is Thornelius Archimedes III.
He is lenient with his agents when it comes to rules about staying in-fic for the full observation period; they are dealing with disturbing acts of violence. However, he doesn't put up with intradepartmental squabbling instigated by his fractious division heads. He dislikes Quiddich, and seems to be a regular at the Chlorophyll Club. Despite his lenient attitude towards his agents, he never got along with former agent turned DIA officer Brian McMaolin.
The Thorn's office, located in the basement of HQ with the rest of the DAVD, is painted red and black.
He either doesn't like or doesn't have access to the kind of computer technology available to other departments, judging by the physical paper-and-cabinets filing system used in DAVD(i). They even have overflow storage somewhere in Siberia.
The Big Thorn is one of the Firstborn; he Awoke in the second pulse of radiation to hit Origin, and engaged in mind-altering communion with the other Firstborn before the invention of language. He took his full name, Thornelius Archimedes III, in response to early explorations on Origin, and was promptly nicknamed 'the Big Thorn' by the Marquis de Sod.
In the early days of Origin's scientific development, he was the lead translator for the engineering book that formed the foundation of the Flowers' research. After the foundation of the Organisation, he continued in this role as part of Hornbeam's Department of Infrastructure.
When the Infrastructure Department was split up after the formation of the PPC, the Big Thorn followed Hornbeam into the Department of Technology. At the time of the Cascade, he was part of the program to map the appearance of natural plotholes.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "DAVD, 2009" by Huinesoron, c. 2009
- ↑ "Killer in the Dark" by Katharine the Great
- ↑ "Minor Gods" by Huinesoron
- ↑ "DIA: Introductions" by Ekyl
- ↑ "A Taste of Blood" by Jay and Deepy, c. 2003
- ↑ "If I Die Before I Wake" by Katharine the Great
- ↑ "Origins: Chapter 1" by Huinesoron
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "Origins: Chapter 2" by Huinesoron
- ↑ "Origins: Chapter 3" by Huinesoron
- ↑ "Origins: Chapter 4" by Huinesoron
- ↑ "Origins: Chapter 7" by Huinesoron
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 "Origins: Chapter 8" by Huinesoron